In most cases, atrial septal defects can't be prevented. If you're planning to become pregnant, schedule a preconception visit with your health care provider. This visit should include:
Dec. 11, 2014
- Getting tested for immunity to rubella. If you're not immune, ask your doctor about getting vaccinated.
- Going over your current health conditions and medications. You'll need to carefully monitor certain health problems during pregnancy. Your doctor also may recommend adjusting or stopping certain medications before you become pregnant.
- Reviewing your family medical history. If you have a family history of heart defects or other genetic disorders, consider talking with a genetic counselor to determine what the risk might be before getting pregnant.
- What are holes in heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/holes/. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Facts about atrial septal defect. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/atrialseptaldefect.html. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Atrial septal defect (ASD). The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/congenital_cardiovascular_anomalies/atrial_septal_defect_asd.html?qt=atrial%20septal%20defect&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- St. John Sutton MG. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of atrial septal defects in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Vick GW, et al. Classification of atrial septal defects (ASDs), and clinical features and diagnosis of isolated ASDs in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Congenital heart defects and CCHD. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.org/baby/congenital-heart-defects.aspx. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Connolly HM. Management of atrial septal defects in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 18, 2014.
- Connolly HM. Medical management of Eisenmenger syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2014.
- St. John Sutton MG. Identification and assessment of atrial septal defects in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2014.
- Vick GW, et al. Management and outcome of isolated atrial septal defects in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- The American Heart Association's diet and lifestyle recommendations. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp. Accessed Sept. 23, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Accessed July 10, 2014.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 10, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.