- Experience. The Allergic Diseases Research Laboratory at Mayo Clinic has spent decades researching the immune system and exploring the causes of asthma, with the goal of developing new treatments and eventually finding a cure.
- Cutting-edge medicine. Mayo Clinic doctors and researchers continually develop and test new treatments for asthma. Your doctor will discuss clinical trials or experimental treatments that may be appropriate for you.
- A team approach. Mayo Clinic doctors from several medical specialties work together to provide you with the best care possible, tailored to your needs. Your team may include specialists in allergic diseases, pulmonary and critical care medicine, ear, nose and throat medicine (otorhinolaryngology), and other specialties as needed.
- Individualized care. Your doctors will create an asthma action plan for you. You'll learn how to use your asthma medications, control symptoms and triggers, and monitor your condition. Your health care team will also help you identify the allergens and irritants that trigger your asthma symptoms — such as the indoor air quality in your environment — so that you can avoid them or reduce your exposure.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for respiratory disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked high performing for respiratory disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for respiratory disorders.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Feb. 13, 2014
- Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Bailey W, et al. What do patients need to know about their asthma? http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Fanta CH. Treatment of acute exacerbations of asthma in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- What is asthma? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/asthma/. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Hazeldine V. Pharmacological management of acute asthma exacerbations in adults. Nursing Standard. 2013;27:43.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Diagnosis and Management of Asthma Guideline. Bloomington, Minn. Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://mayoweb.mayo.edu/etc-ame/icsi/Asthma.pdf. Accessed Aug. 3, 2013.
- Updated information on leukotriene inhibitors: Montelukast (marketed as Singulair), zafirlukast (marketed as Accolate), and zileuton (marketed as Zyflo and Zyflo CR). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm165489.htm. Accessed Sept. 12, 2013.
- Asthma. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Alternative therapies. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=8&sub=16&cont=40. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Sheshadri A, et al. Bronchial thermoplasty: A novel therapy for severe asthma. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2013;34:437.
- Li JTC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 20, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.