Mayo Clinic's commitment to allergy research dates to the 1950s when doctors in Minnesota demonstrated the usefulness of the newly discovered glucocorticoids in treating certain allergy and asthma problems.
The Allergic Diseases Research Laboratory investigates the mechanisms of common airway and skin diseases, such as asthma, hay fever, atopic dermatitis and chronic rhinosinusitis.
See a list of publications by Mayo authors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Aug. 30, 2016
- Joseph H. Butterfield, M.D.
- Avni Y. Joshi, M.D.
- Hirohito Kita, M.D.
- James T C Li, M.D., Ph.D.
- Kaiser G. Lim, M.D.
- Ashokakumar M. Patel, M.D.
- Matthew A. Rank, M.D.
- Gerald W. Volcheck, M.D.
- Catherine R. Weiler, M.D., Ph.D.
- Martinez FD, et al. Asthma. The Lancet. 2013;382:1360.
- What is asthma? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/asthma. Accessed April 27, 2015.
- Diagnosis and management of asthma guideline. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. https://www.icsi.org/guidelines__more/catalog_guidelines_and_more/catalog_guidelines/catalog_respiratory_guidelines/asthma/. Accessed April 27, 2015.
- Global strategy for asthma management and prevention (2015 update). Global Initiative for Asthma. http://www.ginasthma.org/documents/4. Accessed April 27, 2015.
- Expert panel report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/asthma/. Accessed Sept. 13, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Asthma. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 27, 2015.
- Asthma. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed April 27, 2015.
- Updated information on leukotriene inhibitors: Montelukast (marketed as Singulair), zafirlukast (marketed as Accolate), and zileuton (marketed as Zyflo and Zyflo CR). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/ucm165489.htm. Accessed April 27, 2015.