There's no treatment to reverse the effects of asbestos on the alveoli. Treatment focuses on slowing the progression of the disease and relieving symptoms. You'll need routine follow-up care, such as chest X-rays and lung function tests, at regular intervals depending on the severity of your condition.
To ease breathing difficulty caused by advanced asbestosis, your doctor might prescribe supplemental oxygen. This is delivered by thin plastic tubing with prongs that fit into your nostrils or a mask.
If your symptoms are severe, you might be a candidate for a lung transplant.
Jan. 02, 2014
- What are asbestos-related lung diseases? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/asb/asb_all.html. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Asbestos: Health effects. Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/asbestos/health_effects/. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- The asbestos informer. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. http://www.epa.gov/region4/air/asbestos/inform.htm. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Mason RJ, et al. Murray & Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- King TE. Asbestosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Clinical screening guidelines for asbestos-related lung disease. Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/site-kit/docs/clinscrguide_32205_lo.pdf. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Roggli VL, et al. Pathology of asbestosis — An update of the diagnostic criteria: Report of the asbestosis committee of the college of American pathologists and pulmonary pathology society. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2010;134:462.
- Mescher AL, ed. Junqueira's Basic Histology: Text & Atlas. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=15. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- What is COPD? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Copd/Copd_WhatIs.html. Accessed Aug. 19, 2013.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 17, 2013.