To contract anthrax, you must come in direct contact with anthrax spores. This is more likely if you:
Jun. 10, 2014
- Are in the military and deployed to an area with a high risk of exposure to anthrax
- Work with anthrax in a laboratory setting
- Handle animal skins, furs or wool from areas with a high incidence of anthrax
- Work in veterinary medicine, especially if you deal with livestock
- Handle or dress game animals — in the United States, seasonal outbreaks of anthrax are common among livestock and game animals, such as deer
- Inject illegal drugs, such as heroin
- Wilson K. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of anthrax. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Hicks CW, et al. An overview of anthrax infection including the recently identified form of disease in injection drug users. Intensive Care Medicine. 2012;38:1092.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Anthrax. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/infectious_diseases/gram-positive_bacilli/anthrax.html. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Wilson K. Microbiology, pathogenesis, and epidemiology of anthrax. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Grey MR, et al., eds. The Bioterrorism Sourcebook. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2006. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=366&Sectionid=39825485. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Anthrax. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/anthrax/Pages/default.aspx#. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
- Hall JB, et al, eds. Principles of Critical Care. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2005. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=361&Sectionid=39866430. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Wilson K. Prevention of anthrax. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 26, 2014.
- Anthrax vaccine: What you need to know. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/anthrax.html. Accessed Feb. 25, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.