If you're experiencing difficulty reaching orgasm, it can be frustrating for you and your partner. Plus, concentrating on climax can make the problem worse.
Most couples aren't experiencing the headboard-banging, van-rocking intercourse that appears on TV and in the movies. So try to reframe your expectations. Focus on mutual pleasure, instead of orgasm. You may find that a sustained pleasure plateau is just as satisfying as real climax.
Feb. 22, 2012
- Frank JE, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of female sexual dysfunction. American Family Physician. 2008;77:635.
- Kammerer-Doak D, et al. Female sexual function and dysfunction. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2008;35:169.
- Kingsberg SA, et al. Female sexual disorders: Assessment, diagnosis and treatment. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2007;34:497.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed Jan. 9, 2012.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Jan. 9, 2012.
- Ginsberg TB. Aging and sexuality. The Medical Clinics of North America. 2006;90:1025.
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 11, 2012.
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Epidemiology, risk factors, and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 11, 2012.
- IsHak WW, et al. Disorders of orgasm in women: A literature review of etiology and current treatments. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:3254.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins - Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 119: Female sexual dysfunction. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;117:996.