Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic Staff
If you're experiencing difficulty reaching orgasm, it can be frustrating for you and your partner. Plus, concentrating on climax can make the problem worse.
Most couples aren't experiencing the headboard-banging, earth-shaking sex that appears on TV and in the movies. So try to reframe your expectations. Focus on mutual pleasure, instead of orgasm. You may find that a sustained pleasure plateau is just as satisfying as orgasm.
Feb. 14, 2015
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Sexual dysfunctions. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
- Frequently asked questions. Women's health FAQ072. Your sexual health. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Your-Sexual-Health. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=331. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Laan E, et al. Standard operating procedures for female orgasmic disorder: Consensus of the International Society for Sexual Medicine. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2013;10:74.
- Bradway C, et al. Pharmacologic therapy for female sexual dysfunction. The Nurse Practitioner. 2014;39:16.
- Bradford A. Treatment of female orgasmic disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 14, 2014.
- Women's ArginMax. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 27, 2015.
- Ito TY, et al. The enhancement of female sexual function with ArginMax, a nutritional supplement, among women differing in menopausal status. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2006;32:369.