A diagnosis of amyloidosis can be extremely challenging. Here are some suggestions that may make dealing with amyloidosis easier:
July 29, 2014
- Find someone to talk with. You may feel comfortable discussing your feelings with a friend or family member, or you might prefer meeting with a formal support group.
- Set reasonable goals. Having goals helps you feel in control and can give you a sense of purpose. Choose goals you can reach.
- Gorevic PD. An overview of amyloidsosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 4, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 4, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. When should light chain amyloidosis be suspected? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Rajkumar SV. Clinical presentation, laboratory manifestations and diagnosis of immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis (primary amyloidosis). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 4, 2014.
- Gorevic PD. Causes and diagnosis of secondary (AA) amyloidosis and relation to rheumatic diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 4, 2014.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 5, 2014.
- Gertz MA. Immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis: 2013 update on diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. American Journal of Hematology. 2013;88:417.
- Dispenzieri A, et al. What do I need to know about immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis? Blood Reviews. 2012;26:137.
- Vrana JA, et al. Clinical diagnosis and typing of systemic amyloidosis in subcutaneous fat aspirates by mass spectrometry-based proteomics. Haematologica. In press. Accessed May 5, 2014.
- Warsame R, et al. Outcomes and treatments of patients with immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis who progress or relapse postautologous stem cell transplant. European Journal of Haematology. In press. Accessed May 5, 2014.
- Dispenzieri A, et al. High sensitivity cardiac troponin T in patients with immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis. Heart. 2014;100:383.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 8, 2014.
- Gorevic PD. Genetic factors in the amyloid diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 11, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.