Alcohol intolerance can cause immediate, unpleasant reactions after you drink alcohol. The most common signs and symptoms of alcohol intolerance are stuffy nose and skin flushing. Alcohol intolerance is caused by a genetic condition in which the body is unable to break down alcohol efficiently. The only way to prevent alcohol intolerance reactions is to avoid alcohol.
Alcohol intolerance isn't an allergy. However, in some cases, what seems to be alcohol intolerance may be your reaction to something in an alcoholic beverage — such as chemicals, grains or preservatives. Combining alcohol with certain medications also can cause reactions.
In rare instances, an unpleasant reaction to alcohol can be a sign of a serious underlying health problem that requires diagnosis and treatment.
March 26, 2015
- Wigand P, et al. Prevalence of wine intolerance. Deutsches Ärzteblatt International. 2012;109:437.
- Fazio SB. Approach to flushing in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 16, 2015.
- Bryant AJ, et al. Alcohol intolerance as associated with Hodgkin lymphoma. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013;185:E353.
- Linneberg A, et al. Prevalence of self-reported hypersensitivity symptoms following intake of alcoholic drinks. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 2007;38:1.
- Uticaria, facial swelling after beer/alcohol. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/Urticaria,-facial-swelling-after-beer-alcohol.aspx. Accessed Jan. 16, 2015.
- Alcohol angioedema and uticaria. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/alcohol-angioedema-urticaria.aspx. Accessed Jan. 16, 2015.
- Alcohol and migraine. American Headache Society. http://www.achenet.org/resources/alcohol_and_migraine/. Accessed Jan. 18, 2015.
- Food allergy testing. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/testing. Accessed Jan. 18, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.