Depending on the cause, complications of alcohol intolerance or other reactions to alcoholic beverages can include:
Mar. 26, 2015
- Migraines. Drinking alcohol can trigger migraines in some people, possibly as a result of histamines contained in some alcoholic beverages. Your immune system also releases histamines during an allergic reaction.
- A severe allergic reaction. In rare instances, an allergic reaction can be life-threatening (anaphylactic reaction) and require emergency treatment.
- Wigand P, et al. Prevalence of wine intolerance. Deutsches Ärzteblatt International. 2012;109:437.
- Fazio SB. Approach to flushing in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 16, 2015.
- Bryant AJ, et al. Alcohol intolerance as associated with Hodgkin lymphoma. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013;185:E353.
- Linneberg A, et al. Prevalence of self-reported hypersensitivity symptoms following intake of alcoholic drinks. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 2007;38:1.
- Uticaria, facial swelling after beer/alcohol. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/Urticaria,-facial-swelling-after-beer-alcohol.aspx. Accessed Jan. 16, 2015.
- Alcohol angioedema and uticaria. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/alcohol-angioedema-urticaria.aspx. Accessed Jan. 16, 2015.
- Alcohol and migraine. American Headache Society. http://www.achenet.org/resources/alcohol_and_migraine/. Accessed Jan. 18, 2015.
- Food allergy testing. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/testing. Accessed Jan. 18, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.