Your doctor may suspect adenomyosis based on:
- Signs and symptoms
- A pelvic exam that reveals an enlarged, tender uterus
- Ultrasound imaging of the uterus
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the uterus
In some instances, your doctor may collect a sample of uterine tissue for testing (endometrial biopsy) to verify that your abnormal uterine bleeding isn't associated with any other serious condition. But, an endometrial biopsy won't help your doctor confirm a diagnosis of adenomyosis. The only way to be certain of adenomyosis is to examine the uterus after surgery to remove it (hysterectomy).
Other uterine diseases can cause signs and symptoms similar to adenomyosis, making adenomyosis difficult to diagnose. Such conditions include fibroid tumors (leiomyomas), uterine cells growing outside the uterus (endometriosis) and growths in the uterine lining (endometrial polyps). Your doctor may conclude that you have adenomyosis only after determining there are no other possible causes for your signs and symptoms.
April 02, 2015
- Stewart EA. Uterine adenomyosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 22, 2015.
- Benacerraf BF, et al. Gynecologic Ultrasound: A Problem-Based Approach. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 22, 2015
- Uterine adenomyosis. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology_and_obstetrics/benign_gynecologic_lesions/uterine_adenomyosis.html. Accessed Jan. 22, 2015.
- Cockerham AZ. Adenomyosis: A challenge in clinical gynecology. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health. 2012;57:212.
- Garcia L, et al. Adenomyosis: Review of the literature. Journal of Minimally Invasive Surgery. 2011;18:428.
- Benagiano G. The pathophysiology of uterine adenomyosis: An update. American Society for Reproductive Medicine. 2012;98:572.
- Benagiano G, et al. Structural and molecular features of the endomyometrium in endometriosis and adenomyosis. Human Reproduction Update. 2014;20:386.
- Laughlin-Tommaso SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 4, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.