Acute liver failure is loss of liver function that occurs rapidly — in days or weeks — usually in a person who has no pre-existing liver disease. Acute liver failure is less common than chronic liver failure, which develops more slowly.
Acute liver failure, also known as fulminant hepatic failure, can cause serious complications, including excessive bleeding and increasing pressure in the brain. It's a medical emergency that requires hospitalization.
Depending on the cause, acute liver failure can sometimes be reversed with treatment. In many situations, though, a liver transplant may be the only cure.
Aug. 29, 2017
- Goldberg E, et al. Acute liver failure in adults: Etiology, clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Goldberg E, et al. Acute liver failure in adults: Management and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Liver wellness. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/education/downloads/. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Acute liver failure. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 7, 2017.
- Bernal W, et al. Acute liver failure. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:2525.
- Bernsten A, et al., eds. Liver Failure. In: Oh's Intensive Care Manual, 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 26, 2017.
- Flamm SL, et al. American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Liver Failure. Gastroenterology. 2017;152:644.
- Roy-Chowdhury N, et al. Hepatocyte transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Cooper DK, et al. Pig liver xenotransplantation: A review of progress toward the clinic. Transplantation. 2016;100:2039.
- Karvellas CJ, et al. Current evidence for extracorporeal liver support systems in acute liver failure and acute-on-chronic liver failure. Critical Care Clinics. 2016;32:439.
- Yin M, et al. Distinguishing between hepatic inflammation and fibrosis with MR elastography. Radiology. In press. Accessed March 24, 2017.
- Carbon tetrachloride. Environmental Protection Agency. https://www.epa.gov/foia/carbon-tetrachlorideox-frequently-asked-question Accessed April 17, 2017.
- Picco M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 17, 2017.
- Rajan E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 17, 2017.