Because an Achilles tendon rupture can impair your ability to walk, it's common to seek immediate treatment at a hospital's emergency department. You may also need to consult with doctors specializing in sports medicine or orthopedic surgery.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of the symptoms and the precipitating event
- Information about past medical problems
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
The doctor may ask you some of the following questions:
Aug. 20, 2014
- How did this injury occur?
- Did you feel or hear a popping or snapping sound when it happened?
- Can you stand on tiptoe on that foot?
- DeLee JC, et al. DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Ham P, et al. Achilles tendinopathy and tendon rupture. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Stavrou M, et al. Review article: Treatment for Achilles tendon ruptures in athletes. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2013;21:232.