An angiogram can show doctors what's wrong with your blood vessels. It can:
- Show how many of your coronary arteries are blocked or narrowed by fatty plaques (atherosclerosis)
- Pinpoint where blockages are located in your blood vessels)
- Show how much blood flow is blocked through your blood vessels)
- Check the results of previous coronary bypass surgery)
- Check the blood flow through your heart and blood vessels)
Knowing this information can help your doctor determine what treatment is best for you and how much danger your heart condition poses to your health. Based on your results, your doctor may decide, for instance, that you would benefit from having coronary angioplasty or stenting to help clear clogged arteries. It's also possible that angioplasty or stenting could be done during your angiogram to avoid needing another procedure.