Harini Chakkera, M.D., is a transplant nephrologist and medical director of the Pancreas Transplant Program.
Areas of clinical expertise include:
- Determination of eligibility for kidney and pancreas transplant
- Living-donor evaluation to determine suitability
- Providing complex coordination and care for patients after kidney and pancreas transplant
- Promoting patients' understanding of their disease and empowering them to become partners in managing their health
Dr. Chakkera has truly excelled in all the shields at Mayo Clinic — education, practice and research. In addition to her clinical activities, Dr. Chakkera is active in research and education. She was responsible for transforming the Internal Medicine resident rotation in Nephrology. Additionally, she was instrumental in the initiation of two fellowships (the Nephrology Fellowship and Transplant Nephrology Fellowship) and is the block leader for renal block in the Mayo Medical School (now Mayo Clinic School of Medicine) in Arizona. She is the fellowship program director for both the General Nephrology Fellowship and Transplant Nephrology Fellowship programs. She is the chair of the Student Promotion and Assessment Committee, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, Arizona. She provides mentorship to several residents and fellows.
Dr. Chakkera is recognized as a national and international content expert in the areas of metabolic disease and diabetes associated with transplantation. She is the author of expert content and publishes in high-impact scientific journals. She has been a seminal leader in elucidating the mechanisms and consequences of metabolic disease post-transplant.
- Renal transplantation outcomes
- Evaluating modifiable predictors to improve kidney transplant survival
- Outcomes after renal transplantation: evaluating predictors that can improve the long-term survival of the transplanted kidney and studying treatment modalities adopted to maximize the survival of the renal allograft after acute rejection
Mayo Clinic locations
Fellow - TransplantationUniversity of California, San Francisco
Fellow - NephrologyUniversity of California, San Francisco
MPHUniversity of California, Berkeley
Resident - Internal MedicineHennepin County Medical Center
Internship - Internal MedicineHennepin County Medical Center
MB BS - Bachelor of Medicine & SurgeryBangalore University
Activities and honors
NephrologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
Internal MedicineAmerican Board of Internal Medicine