- Diploma - Secondary School Grey High School
- MB ChB Groote Schuur Hospital, University of Cape Town
- Internship Groote Schuur Hospital, University of Cape Town
- Senior House Officer - Cardiology Groote Schuur Hospital, University of Cape Town
- Senior House Officer Kent and Sussex Hospital
- Senior House Officer Whitington Hospital
- Senior House Officer Rushgreen Hospital
- Diploma - Diving and Submarine Medicine Institute of Maritime Medicine
- Resident - Internal Medicine Groote Schuur Hospital, University of Cape Town
- Resident - Internal Medicine Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Fellow - Cardiology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- National Board of Echocardiography
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Cardiology
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Professor of Medicine
Charles J. Bruce, M.D. is a clinical cardiologist, researcher and inventor. His specific clinical and research interests and areas of expertise include valvular heart disease, Marfan syndrome and all aspects of echocardiography. He has a passion for innovation; and together with a team of collaborators, develops new technologies to improve the delivery of heathcare. Some of these technologies include novel catheter-based therapies for cardiac ablation and pacing as well as left atrial appendage ligation. He also leads a remote care platform using a novel body-worn adhesive strip sensor.
Long term research aim:
- Develop novel health care delivery tools
Mid-term research aims:
- Develop and refine a Remote Care platform.
- Develop novel sensors for remote care of cardiac arrhythmias, heart failure and obstructive sleep apnea.
- Develop non-invasive determination of electrolytes
- Develop novel cardiac pacing and defibrillation technologies.
- Develop a novel tool for percutaneous left atrial appendage ligation.
- Clinical cardiology
- Structural heart disease
- Vavular heart disease
- Marfan syndrome
- Echocardiography (transthoracic, transesophageal and stress)
- Guiding transcatheter based intervention
See a listing of publications on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
See a description of research activities.