Mayo Clinic Facts
Every year, more than a million people from all 50 states and nearly 150 countries come to Mayo Clinic for care.
- Staff physicians and scientists: 4,158
- Residents, fellows and students: 3,155
- Allied health staff (clinic and hospital): 52,196
- Total: 59,509
Mayo's unique style of care brings teams of experts together to provide high-quality, compassionate care to each patient.
- Total clinic patients: 1,260,000
- Hospital admissions: 131,000
- Hospital days of patient care: 608,000
Mayo Clinic's multidisciplinary research teams translate new discoveries rapidly to improve the prevention and treatment of disease and injury.
- Physicians and medical scientists: 623
- Allied health personnel: 2,250
- New studies reviewed by the Institutional Review Board: 2,526
- Active human research studies: 8,698
- Research publications and review articles in peer-reviewed journals: 5,673
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education
Mayo trains doctors in 271 residency and fellowship programs, representing virtually all medical specialties.
- Enrollment: 1,665
- Graduates: 677
Mayo Graduate School
Mayo Graduate School offers doctoral and master's programs in 10 biomedical subspecialties, and a visiting pre-doctoral summer undergraduate program.
- Enrollment: 290
- Ph.D. graduates: 27
- M.S. graduates: 15
Mayo Medical School
Mayo Medical School awards doctor of medicine degrees, the opportunity to pursue joint M.D.-professional degrees, as well as providing visiting medical student clerkships and summer minority medical student programs.
- Enrollment: 195
- Graduates: 48
Mayo School of Health Sciences
The Mayo School of Health Sciences prepares students in 124 programs representing more than 50 health science careers.
- Enrollment: 1,864
- Graduates: 1,230
Mayo School of Continuous Professional Development
The MSCPD provided 365 continuing education activities for medical professionals from around the world.
- Physician participants: 83,010
- Nonphysician participants: 45,710
Research and Education funding (in millions)
- Government, foundations and industry: $423
- Mayo Clinic funds and benefactor gifts: $489
- Total: $912
Financial Information (in millions)
- Total revenue from current activity: $9,421
- Income from current activities: $612
- Contributions from benefactors: $399
Conflict of interest
Mayo Clinic and its staff often collaborate with industry to improve patient care through research agreements, invention licenses and consulting activities. The Mayo Clinic Conflict of Interest Review Board oversees all such activities. Mayo Clinic and its staff members do not receive any royalties for inventions or technology developed at Mayo and subsequently prescribed for Mayo Clinic patients.
If you have questions about Mayo Clinic industry relationships, please ask your physician or contact the Office of Conflict of Interest Review at 507-284-0075.
See more about Mayo Clinic facts:
These facts were accurate as of December 2014.