Mayo Clinic Facts
An Inside Look at Mayo Clinic
Reflecting on our commitment to care, research, our community and our people.
Read more (PDF).
This year, 1.3 million people from all 50 states and 137 countries came to Mayo Clinic for care.
- Staff physicians and scientists: 4,590
- Administrative and allied health staff (clinics and hospitals): 58,488
- Total: 63,078
- Total clinic patients: 1,318,800
- Hospital admissions: 129,500
- Hospital days of patient care: 638,300
- Full-time scientific faculty: 332
- Physicians actively involved in research: 758
- Full-time research personnel: 3,120
- New human research studies approved by Institutional Review Board: 2,937
- Active human research studies: 11,000
- Research publications and review articles in peer-reviewed journals: 7,600
- Education and Research funding (in millions): 1,005
- Government, foundations and industry: 482
- Mayo Clinic funds and benefactor gifts: 523
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education
Mayo trains doctors in 276 residency and fellowship programs, representing virtually all medical specialties.
- Enrollment: 1,738
- Graduates: 688
Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Enrollment: 257
- Ph.D. graduates: 41
- M.S. graduates: 32
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
- Enrollment: 233
- Graduates: 43 (anticipated in May 2017)
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
Prepares students in 135 programs representing more than 58 health science careers.
- Enrollment: 1,653
- Graduates: 1,156
Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development
- Physician participants: 60,035
- Nonphysician participants: 41,168
Financial information (in millions)
- Total revenue from current activity: $10,998
- Income from current activities: $475
- Contributions from benefactors: $296
Conflict of interest
Mayo Clinic and its staff often collaborate with industry to improve patient care through research agreements, invention licenses and consulting activities. The Mayo Clinic Conflict of Interest Review Board oversees all such activities. Mayo Clinic and its staff members do not receive any royalties for inventions or technology developed at Mayo and subsequently prescribed for Mayo Clinic patients.
If you have questions about Mayo Clinic industry relationships, please ask your physician or contact the Office of Conflict of Interest Review at 507-284-0075.
See more facts about Mayo Clinic:
These facts were accurate as of December 2016.