Watch Mayo Clinic cardiologists and others discuss many conditions and treatments related to cardiovascular diseases and cardiovascular surgery.
The Cardiometabolic Program, a program within the Cardiovascular Health Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota, offers a unique, personalized treatment plan for people with metabolic syndrome.
Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions — including high blood pressure, high blood sugar levels, high triglyceride levels, low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and excess body fat around your waist — which occur together. If you have at least three of these conditions, you have metabolic syndrome, and your risk of developing cardiovascular disease or diabetes is greatly increased. However, intervention and treatment in a comprehensive program can decrease your cardiovascular risk and prevent the onset of diabetes.
Based on Mayo Clinic's cardiac rehabilitation program, the Cardiometabolic Program combines diet and exercise prescriptions with a state-of-the-art facility, a hands-on experience and a focus on behavioral change to maximize your success in the program.
In the Cardiometabolic Program, a team of specialists collaborates to provide your care, including:
- Preventive cardiologists
- Exercise physiologists
- Registered dietitians
- Nurse practitioners
- Registered nurses trained in behavioral change and exercise methodology
- Clinical exercise specialists
- Cardiopulmonary exercise test technicians
- Sleep medicine experts
- Hypertension specialists
Cardiometabolic program components
The Cardiometabolic Program combines strategies for diet and exercise with behavior modification to most effectively manage your disorder.
Program staff teaches you the skills necessary to make healthy choices regarding your nutrition, with a focus on behavioral change.
- Specific recommendations for your calorie intake and changes in your diet
- A teaching kitchen — a hands-on setting where you can learn to prepare healthy, tasty foods
- Ongoing cognitive and psychological assessments of your eating habits and how you may change unhealthy eating behaviors
Program staff provides you with an individual exercise prescription to help you progress into having an active lifestyle at a healthy pace. Services include:
- On-site exercise instruction by exercise specialists in Mayo Clinic's state-of-the-art, 5,000-square-foot facility
- Exercise with a support group to provide motivation
- Cardiac stress testing to help staff assess your risk and develop recommendations for you
Before you begin the program, all of your metabolic syndrome components — such as your blood pressure, blood sugar levels, triglyceride levels, cholesterol levels and abdominal fat — are measured. Staff takes periodic measurements throughout the program to provide you with information to track your progress. After completing the program, a long-term follow-up program is available to support you and track your ongoing success.