Departments and specialties
Mayo Clinic has one of the largest and most experienced practices in the United States,
with campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. Staff skilled in dozens of specialties work
together to ensure quality care and successful recovery.
Departments with related expertise
Areas that research this procedure
Mayo Clinic specialists are currently studying the long-term outcomes in function for people who've experienced a stroke and get an early tracheostomy versus those who have prolonged use of a breathing tube placed through the mouth into the trachea (orotracheal intubation).
See a list of publications about tracheostomy by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Tracheostomy care at Mayo Clinic
Oct. 22, 2019
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic. Aug. 28, 2019.
- Tracheostomy. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/tracheostomy. Accessed Sept. 23, 2019.
- Tracheostomy and ventilator dependence. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. https://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/tracheostomies/. Accessed Sept. 19, 2019.
- Surgical airway. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/critical-care-medicine/respiratory-arrest/surgical-airway#. Accessed Sept. 23, 2019.
- Roberts JR, et al., eds. Tracheostomy care. In: Roberts and Hedges' Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine and Acute Care. 7th ed. Elsevier; 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 23, 2019.
- Patton J. Tracheostomy care. British Journal of Nursing. 2019; doi:10.12968/bjon.2019.28.16.1060.
- Mitchell RB, et al. Clinical consensus statement: Tracheostomy care. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2013; doi:10.1177/0194599812460376.
- Landsberg JW. Pulmonary and critical care pearls. In: Clinical Practice Manual for Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 25, 2019.
- Rashid AO, et al. Percutaneous tracheostomy: A comprehensive review. Journal of Thoracic Disease. 2017; doi:10.21037/jtd.2017.09.33.
- Moore EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Oct. 1, 2019.