Mayo Clinic's approach
At Mayo Clinic, neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons draw upon their vast experience with spinal fusion techniques to help provide exactly the treatment and care you need for your specific condition.
- Teamwork. People who need spinal fusion sometimes need other types of back surgery at the same time. Mayo Clinic's integrated practice gives you access to all the experts needed to solve your problems.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic surgeons have decades of experience in performing spinal fusions. They have become adept at repairing a variety of extremely complicated spinal problems.
- Research. Mayo Clinic research scientists and doctors are continually improving spinal fusion techniques. Research by Mayo specialists covers a wide range of areas, including minimally invasive surgical techniques, biomechanical enhancements for screws and hooks used in spinal fusion, and better techniques for complicated spinal reconstructions.
- Technology. State-of-the-art imaging technology helps Mayo physicians precisely diagnose your back or neck problems. Correct diagnosis is key to successful treatment. Advanced imaging and brain-monitoring techniques during spinal fusion surgeries help improve safety and surgical outcomes.
Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Mayo Clinic orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons perform more than 900 spinal fusions each year.
- Advanced techniques. Mayo surgeons can perform spinal fusion from the back, front or side of the spine and have access to the newest varieties of bone-fusing materials. Minimally invasive approaches are selected, when appropriate.
- Efficient care. In many cases you can be evaluated and have surgery all within just a few days.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked highly performing for orthopedics.
Learn more about the expertise and rankings of Mayo Clinic's neurology, neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery departments.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.