To prepare for prostate brachytherapy, you will:
- Meet with a radiation oncologist. A radiation oncologist is a doctor who uses radiation to treat cancer. The radiation oncologist will explain the available procedures and the possible risks and benefits of each. Together you can decide whether prostate brachytherapy is the best treatment for you.
- Undergo scans to plan for treatment. Before you begin treatment, you'll undergo imaging scans of your prostate, such as ultrasound, computerized tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). These scans help your radiation oncologist and other members of the treatment planning team decide the dose and positioning of the radiation.
Nov. 23, 2016
- Prostate cancer. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/index.html. Accessed Sept. 26, 2016.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- What is brachytherapy? American Brachytherapy Society. https://www.americanbrachytherapy.org/aboutbrachytherapy/whatis.cfm. Accessed Oct. 15, 2016.
- Chao MWT, et al. Brachytherapy: State-of-the-art radiotherapy in prostate cancer. BJUI International. 2015;116 (suppl 3):S80.
- Prostate cancer treatment. National Institutes of Health. https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/hp/prostate-treatment-pdq#section/all. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-radiation-therapy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Prostate cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Roach M, et al. Brachytherapy for localized prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Alizad A, et al. Application of vibro-acoustography in prostate tissue imaging. Medical Physics. 2013;40:022902-01.
- Davis BJ, et al. American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for transrectal ultrasound-guided permanent prostate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:6.