Tell your doctor:
- If you've ever had a bad allergic reaction
- If you've been sick recently or you have another medical condition, such as diabetes
- If you're taking any medications, vitamins or herbal supplements
- If you're pregnant or you think you might be pregnant
- If you're breast-feeding
- If you're afraid of enclosed spaces (claustrophobic)
Your doctor will give you detailed instructions on how to prepare for your scan. A general rule is to avoid strenuous exercise for a couple of days before the study and to stop eating a few hours before the scan.
June 09, 2017
- Javery O, et al. FDG PET or PET/CT in patients with pancreatic cancer: When does it add to diagnostic CT or MRI? Clinical Imaging 37;2013:295.
- Murphy JG, et al., eds. Positron emission tomography. In: Mayo Clinic Cardiology: Concise Textbook. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2013.
- Ziessman HA, et al. Nuclear Medicine: The Requisites. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- Positron emission tomography — Computed tomography (PET/CT). Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=PET. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About nuclear medicine and molecular imaging. Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. http://www.snmmi.org/AboutSNMMI/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=6433&navItemNumber=756. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About PET scans. American College of Radiology Imaging Network. http://www.acrin.org/patients/aboutimagingexamsandagents/aboutpetscans.aspx. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Neuroimaging in neurologic disorders. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 10, 2017.
- FDA approves production of imaging agent that helps detect prostate cancer. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm319201.htm. Accessed Feb. 2, 2017.
- Sobol I, et al. Contemporary mapping of post-prostatectomy prostate cancer relapse with C-choline positron emission tomography and multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging. Journal of Urology. 2017;197:129.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2017.
Positron emission tomography scan