A woman's reasons for having a medical abortion are highly personal. You can choose medical abortion to complete an early miscarriage or end an unwanted pregnancy. You may have mixed feelings about being pregnant. You may have major financial problems or you may not be capable of parenting due to mental health problems or other issues.
You can also choose to have a medical abortion if you have a medical condition that makes continuing a pregnancy life-threatening.
April 01, 2015
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology and the Society of Family Planning. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 143: Medical management of first-trimester abortion. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2014;143:1.
- Bryant AG, et al. CME review article: An overview of medical abortion for clinical practice. Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey. 2014;69:39.
- Harwood B. First trimester medication abortion (termination of pregnancy). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 16, 2015.
- Simmonds K. Patient information: Abortion (pregnancy termination) (Beyond the Basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2015.
- Ling FW. Overview of pregnancy termination. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2015.