Osteoarthritis can make you feel as if your knee is about to give out. As a result, you might automatically guard your knee and avoid putting weight on it. A knee brace may offer some stability and increase your confidence in your knee.
Some evidence suggests that knee braces may help reduce symptoms and improve function in people who have knee osteoarthritis. More-recent studies, however, have demonstrated less of a benefit. Many people stop wearing knee braces because they don't experience a substantial reduction in knee pain.
Weight loss and exercise — particularly exercises that strengthen the thigh muscles — are considered the best first line treatments for knee osteoarthritis.
Oct. 26, 2016
- DeLee JC, et al. Knee arthritis. In: DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Frontera WR. Knee osteoarthritis. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Steadman JR, et al. Current state of unloading braces for knee osteoarthritis. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2016;24:42.
- Duivenvoorden T, et al. Braces and orthoses for treating osteoarthritis of the knee. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004020.pub3/abstract. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 20, 2016.
- Arthritis of the knee. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00212. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Firestein GS, et al. Treatment of osteoarthritis. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 9, 2016.
- Moyer RF, et al. Valgus bracing for knee osteoarthritis: A meta-analysis of randomized trials. Arthritis Care & Research. 2015;67:493.
- Squyer E, et al. Unloader knee bracers for osteoarthritis: Do patients actually wear them? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2013;471:1982.
Knee braces for osteoarthritis