Research lab at Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic researchers actively study medications and treatments for people with kidney transplants, including new medications (immunosuppressive medications) to keep your body from rejecting your kidney transplant.
Researchers are also investigating better ways to lower antibody levels in your blood to reduce rejection of a donor kidney and improve outcomes when the match between a donor and recipient isn't ideal (ABO incompatible and positive crossmatch kidney transplant).
Other research areas include looking at new ways to use immunosuppressive medications, including tacrolimus (Prograf, Protopic), sirolimus (Rapamune), belatacept and steroid-free immunosuppression medication options, , to help reduce side effects and complications for people with kidney transplants.
Read more about the Kidney/Pancreas/Islet Transplant Research program.
Aug. 15, 2017
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Renal transplantation. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Partnering with your transplant team: The patient's guide to transplantation. United Network for Organ Sharing. https://www.unos.org/wp-content/uploads/unos/WEPNTK.pdf. Accessed March 11, 2016.
- Treatment methods for kidney failure: Transplantation. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/transplant/index.aspx. Accessed March 11, 2016.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources. Organ matching. http://www.organdonor.gov/about/organmatching.html. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- The kidneys and how they work. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/index.aspx. Accessed March 11, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Kidney transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Hart A., et al. OPTN/SRTR Annual Data Report: Kidney. American Journal of Transplantation. 2016;16:11.
- Brennan DC. HLA matching and graft survival in kidney transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2016.
- Rossi AP, et al. Evaluation of the potential renal transplant recipient. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2016.
- Klein CL, et al. HLA and ABO sensitization and desensitization in renal transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2016.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 7, 2016.
- Venkataraman V, et al. Dialysis issues prior to and after renal transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2016.
- Rees L, et al. Overview of renal replacement therapy (RRT) for children with chronic kidney disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2016.
- Kidney disease: causes. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneydiscauses. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Berns JS. Patient information: Dialysis or kidney transplantation—Which is right for me. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources. Organ transplantation. http://www.organdonor.gov/about/transplantationprocess.html. Accessed April 8, 2016.
- UNOS. Frequently asked questions about kidney transplant evaluation and listing. https://www.unos.org/wpcontent/uploads/unos/Kidney_Eval_Brochure.pdf. Accessed April 8, 2016.
- UNOS Transplant Living. Selecting a hospital. http://www.transplantliving.org/before-the-transplant/getting-on-the-list/selecting-a-hospital/. Accessed April 5, 2016.
- Living donation: Information you need to know. Transplant Living. https://www.unos.org/donation/living-donation/. Accessed March 30, 2016.
- Kidney transplant. National Kidney Foundation. Accessed April 8, 2016.
- Vella J. Risk factors for graft failure in kidney transplantation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2016.
- Preparing for the transplant. American Society of Transplantation. http://www.healthytransplant.com/health_maintenance/preparing_for_transplant.aspx. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Orandi BJ, et al. Kidney transplants from incompatible live donors. New England Journal of Medicine. 2016;374:940.
- Stegall M. Dosing regimen of eculizumab added to conventional treatment in positive cross match living donor kidney transplant. ClinicalTrials.gov. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00670774?term=eculizumab+and+mayo&rank=3. Accessed April 8, 2016.
- Heilman RL, et al. Impact of early conversion from tacrolimus to sirolimus on chronic allograft changes in kidney recipients on rapid steroid withdrawal. Transplantation. 2012;93:47.
- Mai ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. April 27, 2016.