Most dental implants are successful. Sometimes, however, the bone fails to fuse sufficiently to the metal implant. Smoking, for example, can contribute to implant failure and complications.
If the bone fails to fuse sufficiently, the implant is removed, the bone is cleaned up, and you can try the procedure again in two or three months.
You can help your dental work — and remaining natural teeth — last longer if you:
- Practice excellent oral hygiene. Just as with your natural teeth, keep implants, artificial teeth and gum tissue clean. Specially designed brushes, such as an interdental brush that slides between teeth, can help clean the nooks and crannies around teeth, gums and metal posts.
- See your dentist regularly. Schedule regular dental checkups to ensure the health and proper functioning of your implants.
- Avoid damaging habits. Don't chew hard items, such as ice and hard candy, which can break your crowns — or your natural teeth. Avoid tooth-staining tobacco and caffeine products. Get treatment if you grind your teeth.
Sept. 16, 2016
- Dental implants FAQs. American College of Prosthodontists. http://www.gotoapro.org/dental-implants-faqs/. Accessed Aug. 5, 2016.
- Dental implant surgery. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. http://myoms.org/assets/uploads/documents/Ebook_dental_implant_R.pdf. Accessed Aug. 6, 2016.
- Dental implants. American Academy of Periodontology. http://www.perio.org/consumer/dental-implants. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Manzano G, et al. Risk factors in early transplant failure: A meta-analysis. Implant Dentistry. 2016;25:1.
- Bone augmentation. American Academy of Implant Dentistry. http://www.aaid-implant.org/dental-implant-options/bone-augmentation. Accessed Aug. 4, 2016.
- Single tooth dental implants. American Academy of Periodontology. http://www.perio.org/consumer/single-tooth-implant. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Implants. Mouth Healthy. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/i/Implants. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Esposito M, et al. Interventions for replacing missing teeth: Different times for loading dental implants. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003878.pub5/abstract. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Monje A, et al. Impact of maintenance therapy for the prevention of peri-implant diseases: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Dental Research. 2016;95:372.
- Multiple tooth implants. American Academy of Periodontology. https://www.perio.org/consumer/multiple-tooth-implant. Accessed Aug. 10, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2015.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 15, 2016.