Carotid angioplasty and stenting may be appropriate stroke treatments or stroke-prevention options if:
- You have a carotid artery with a blockage of 70 percent or more, especially if you've had a stroke or stroke symptoms, and you aren't in good enough health to undergo surgery — for example, if you have severe heart or lung disease or had radiation for neck tumors
- You have already had a carotid endarterectomy and are experiencing new narrowing after surgery (restenosis)
- The location of the narrowing (stenosis) is difficult to access with endarterectomy
In some cases, carotid endarterectomy may be a better choice than angioplasty and stenting to remove the buildup of fatty deposits (plaque) clogging the artery. You and your doctor will discuss which procedure is safest for you.
Nov. 09, 2017
- Cameron JL, et al. Balloon angioplasty and stents in carotid artery occlusive disease. In: Current Surgical Therapy. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2017.
- Carotid artery disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/catd/catd_all.html. Accessed Aug. 29, 2017.
- Chaikof EL, et al. General principles of endovascular therapy: Angioplasty, stenting, recanalization, and embolization. In: Atlas of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- Mohler ER, et al. Management of symptomatic carotid atherosclerotic disease. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Aug. 29, 2017.
- Angioplasty and vascular stenting. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=angioplasty. Accessed Aug. 29, 2017.
- Fairman RM, et al. Carotid artery stenting and its complications. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Aug. 29, 2017.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 13, 2017.
- Cloft H (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 26, 2017.
- Jauch EC, et al. Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: A guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2013;44:870.
News, connections and conversations for your health
Carotid angioplasty and stenting