A breast lift — also known as mastopexy — is a surgical procedure to change the shape of your breasts. During a breast lift, excess skin is removed and breast tissue is reshaped to restore firmness and raise the breasts.
You might choose to have a breast lift if your breasts sag or your nipples point downward. A breast lift might also boost your self-image and self-confidence.
A breast lift won't significantly change the size of your breasts. However, a breast lift can be done in combination with breast augmentation or breast reduction.
Nov. 30, 2016
- Neligan PC, et al. Mastopexy. In: Core Procedures in Plastic Surgery. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 16, 2015.
- Neligan PC. Mastopexy. In: Plastic Surgery. Vol. 7. 3rd ed. London, England: Elsevier Saunders; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 16, 2015.
- Breast lift surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/breast-lift.html. Accessed May 17, 2015.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Lactation and breastfeeding. In: Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 16, 2015.
- Arroyave E. Breast-lift mastopexy. In: Understanding Cosmetic Procedures: Surgical and Nonsurgical. Clifton Park, N.Y.: Thomson Delmar Learning; 2006:159.
- Disa JJ, et al. Breast lift and other procedures. In: 100 Questions & Answers About Breast Surgery. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2005:167.