- Research expertise. The Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, Diabetes, Nutrition, and Internal Medicine at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, has a long history of internationally acclaimed research. In 1950 Edward Kendall, M.D., received the Nobel Prize for his work in identifying and synthesizing adrenocortical steroids. The division includes 10 Endocrine Clinical Service Groups, including the Pituitary-Gonad-Adrenal (PGA) Service Group.
- Treatment experience. Surgeons at Mayo Clinic have extensive experience in adrenalectomies, performing nearly 175 procedures each year.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for diabetes and endocrinology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked highly performing for diabetes and endocrinology by U.S. News & World Report.
Nov. 16, 2017
- Urologic conditions. What are adrenal gland cancers? American Urological Association. https://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/adrenal-gland-cancers/printable-version. Accessed Aug. 20, 2017.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Surgery of adrenal glands. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 21, 2017.
- Laparoscopic adrenal gland removal (adrenalectomy) patient information from Sages. Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. http://www.sages.org/publications/patient-information/patient-information-for-laparoscopic-adrenal-gland-removal-adrenalectomy-from-sages/. Accessed Aug. 21, 2017.
- Warner KJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 15, 2017.
- Nwariaku F. Adrenalectomy techniques. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Aug. 27, 2017.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 29, 2017.
- Nwariaku F. Adrenalectomy: Minimally invasive surgery (MIS) and traditional open procedures. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed July 9, 2017.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Adrenalectomy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. 2017.
- Economopoulos KP, et al. Laparoscopic versus robotic adrenalectomy: A comprehensive meta-analysis. International Journal of Surgery. 2017;38:95.
- Conzo G, et al. Minimally invasive approach for adrenal lesions: Systematic review of laparoscopic versus retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy and assessment of risk factors for complications. International Journal of Surgery. 2016;28:S118.
- McKenzie TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 5, 2017.