Diet pills and surgery can help with weight loss when combined with a healthy diet and physical activity. But diet pills aren't for everyone. Neither is surgery.
For obesity and health problems related to weight, talk with your doctor about whether diet pills or surgery could help you. Ask your doctor about lifestyle changes you need to make to be successful over the long term.
A word of caution: Talk with a doctor before you try diet pills or supplements you can get without a prescription. They can have serious, often dangerous side effects.
Nov. 01, 2023
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips, current health topics, and expertise on managing health. Click here for an email preview.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing!
You'll soon start receiving the latest Mayo Clinic health information you requested in your inbox.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
- Hensrud DD, ed. The Mayo Clinic Diet. 3rd ed. Mayo Clinic Press; 2023.
- Interested in losing weight? Nutrition.gov. https://www.nutrition.gov/topics/healthy-living-and-weight/strategies-success/interested-losing-weight. Accessed March 10, 2023.
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. 2nd ed. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. https://health.gov/our-work/physical-activity/current-guidelines. Accessed March 10, 2023.
- Dietary supplements for weight loss. Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/WeightLoss-HealthProfessional/. Accessed March 10, 2023.
- Potential candidates for weight-loss surgery. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management/bariatric-surgery/potential-candidates. Accessed March 10, 2023.