There are no easy answers, but there are some tactics that might help.
- Remind yourself that because someone says something doesn't make it true. J. K. Rowling, who wrote the "Harry Potter" series, was rejected by a number of agents before one asked to read it. She is now one of the highest-paid authors in the world.
- Avoid letting the judgments and decisions of other people undercut your sense of well-being. Your peace of mind is a precious gift. Don't give it away.
- Admit when you make a mistake or are at fault. Acknowledge your error, learn from it and then move on.
- Keep things in perspective. In a year or two, will these events really matter? The answer is in all likelihood that they won't.
Aim to find a way to put setbacks behind you and move forward with grace, dignity and humility.
Jan. 24, 2020
- Creagan ET (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 29, 2017.
- J.K. Rowling. https://www.jkrowling.com/about/. Accessed Dec. 22, 2017.
- Cuccinello HC. World's highest paying authors 2017: J.K. Rowling leads with $95 million. https://www.forbes.com/sites/hayleycuccinello/2017/08/03/worlds-highest-paid-authors-2017-j-k-rowling-leads-with-95-million/#6bf3e4992669. Accessed Dec. 22, 2017.