If you have signs or symptoms of thrombophlebitis, such as a red, swollen or tender vein, see your doctor right away. If the vein swelling and pain are severe or you have other signs and symptoms that might indicate a blood clot traveling to your lungs, such as shortness of breath or coughing up blood, call 911 or your local emergency number.
If you have time before your appointment, here's some information to help you get ready.
What you can do
Make a list of:
- Your symptoms, including any that may seem unrelated to the reason for your appointment
- Key personal information, including a family history of blood-clotting disorders or long periods of inactivity recently, such as a car or plane trip
- All medications, vitamins or other supplements you take
- Questions to ask your doctor
Have someone take you to your doctor or emergency room, if possible. It might be difficult for you to drive, and it's helpful to have someone with you to help you remember the information you receive.
For thrombophlebitis, basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What is likely causing my condition?
- What are other possible causes?
- What tests do I need?
- What treatments are available and which do you recommend?
- I have other health conditions. How can I best manage these conditions together?
- Are there dietary or activity restrictions I need to follow?
- Are there brochures or other printed material I can have? What websites do you recommend?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you questions, such as:
- When did your symptoms begin?
- Do you have symptoms all the time, or do they come and go?
- How severe are your symptoms?
- Have you had an injury or surgery within the past three months?
- What, if anything, seems to improve or worsen your symptoms?
Nov. 30, 2016
- Nasr H, et al. Superficial thrombophlebitis (superficial venous thrombosis). British Medical Journal. 2015;350:u2039.
- Scovell S, et al. Phlebitis and thrombosis of the superficial lower extremity veins. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 11, 2016.
- Bauer KA. Approach to the diagnosis and therapy of a lower extremity deep vein thrombosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 11, 2016.
- Di Nisio M, et al. Treatment for superficial thrombophlebitis of the leg (review). Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004982.pub5/abstract. Accessed July 11, 2016.
- Deep vein thrombosis. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dvt#. Accessed July 11, 2016.
- Alguire PC, et al. Post-thrombotic (postphlebitic) syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 11, 2016.