Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Nov. 02, 2016
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Disorders of hemoglobin. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Sept. 15, 2016.
- What are thalassemias? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/thalassemia/. Accessed Sept. 15, 2016.
- Kelly N. Thalassemia. Pediatrics in Review. 2012;33:434.
- Thalassemias. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology_and_oncology/anemias_caused_by_hemolysis/thalassemias.html. Accessed Sept. 15, 2016.
- Yates AM. Prenatal screening and testing for the hemoglobinopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 15, 2016.
- Benz EJ. Treatment of beta thalassemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 20, 2016.
- Musallam KM, et al. Iron overload in b-thalassemia intermedia: An emerging concern. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2013;20:187.
- DeLoughery TG. Microcytic anemia. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:1324.
- AskMayoExpert. Thalassemia syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Benz EJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of the thalassemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 15, 2016.
- Schrier SL, et al. Chelation therapy for thalassemia and other iron overload states. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 20, 2016.
- What is a blood and marrow stem cell transplant? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/bmsct/. Accessed Sept. 20, 2016.
- Adams RH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale/Phoenix, Ariz. Sept. 26, 2016.