Below are current clinical trials.4 studies in Pneumonia
(open studies only).
Filter this list of studies by location, status and more.
The purpose of the study is to see whether lung concentrations of iron and a protein that binds iron are influenced by the presence of pneumonia. Increased amounts of iron in the lungs may promote the growth or microorganisms and may influence the severity of lung injury caused by an infection. We are comparing the amount of iron that accumulates in the lungs in response to pneumonia in different types of patients.
This is a Phase IV randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study in 1000 individuals aged 18 years or older, with community acquired pneumonia (CAP) who meet all eligibility criteria in endemic regions. This study is designed to provide data on the effectiveness of early antifungal treatment (Fluconazole, 400 mg/day) for coccidioidomycosis pneumonia (also referred to as Valley Fever (VF) Pneumonia or acute onset valley fever) vs. placebo in subjects with coccidioidomycosis pneumonia. Patients who are prescribed antibacterials by their health care provider for acute CAP will be randomized to receive either placebo or 400 mg/day of fluconazole for 42 days. The primary objective is to assess the clinical response of early empiric antifungal therapy with fluconazole through Day 22 in subjects with coccidioidomycosis pneumonia and are compliant with the study intervention.
The purpose of this study is to identify, recruit, and enroll patients with community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) to collect their blood, sputum, urine, and a nasopharyngeal swab for specimen storage. The study also aims to develop a biomarker assay to detect circulating antigen in patients infected with Coccidioides.
The purpose of this study is to identify potential pathogens in parapneumonic effusions associated with community acquired pneumonia and health care acquired pneumonia.
June 21, 2016
- Pneumonia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pnu. Accessed April 15, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Community-acquired pneumonia (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Overview of pneumonia. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 18, 2016.
- Schauner S, et al. Community-acquired pneumonia in children: A look at the IDSA guidelines. Journal of Family Practice. 2013;62:9.
- Attridge RT, et al. Health care-associated pneumonia: An evidence-based review. American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:689.
- Hunter JD. Ventilator associated pneumonia. BMJ. 2012;344:e3325.
- Dockrell DH, et al. Pneumococcal pneumonia: Mechanisms of infection and resolution. Chest. 2012;142:482.
- Reynolds RH, et al. Pneumonia in the immunocompetent patient. British Journal of Radiology. 2010;83:998.
- Remington LT, et al. Community-acquired pneumonia. Current Opinion Pulmonary Medicine. 2014;20:215.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adults: Protect yourself with pneumococcal vaccines. http://www.cdc.gov/features/adult-pneumococcal/. Accessed April 15, 2016.
- Marrie TJ, et al. Pneumococcal pneumonia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 15, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Care following hospitalization for community-acquired pneumonia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Community-acquired pneumonia (pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Barson WJ. Community-acquired pneumonia in children: Outpatient treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 15, 2016.
- File TM. Treatment of community-acquired pneumonia in adults in the outpatient setting. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 20, 2016.
- Chang CC, et al. Over-the-counter (OTC) medications to reduce cough as an adjunct to antibiotics for acute pneumonia in children and adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006088.pub4/full. Accessed April 20, 2016.
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/pneumonia/atypical/mycoplasma/. Accessed April 20, 2016.
- Barson WJ. Community-acquired pneumonia in children: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 20, 2016.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 1, 2016.