Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Tests and diagnosis
Aug. 11, 2017
- Chalasani N, et al. The diagnosis and management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Practice guideline by the American Gastroenterological Association, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and American College of Gastroenterology. Gastroenterology. 2012;142:1592.
- Feldman M, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. In: Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Rinella M. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2015;313:2263. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/ Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Spengler E, et al. Recommendations for diagnosis, referral for liver biopsy, and treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(15)00510-8/abstract. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:1233. Accessed May 10, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2009.
- Venkatesh SK, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography of liver: Technique, analysis and clinical applications. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2013;37:544.
- Kim D, et al. Advanced fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Noninvasive assessment with MR elastography. Radiology. 2013;268:411.
- Sheth SG, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Natural history and management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Boyer TD, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. In: Zakim & Boyer's Hepatology: A Textbook of Liver Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier, 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2015.
- Molloy JW, et al. Association of coffee and caffeine consumption with fatty liver disease, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and degree of hepatic fibrosis. Hepatology. 2012;55:429.
- Malhi H, et al. Nonalcoholic fatty liver: Optimizing pretransplant selection and posttransplant care to maximize survival. Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation. 2016, 21:99.
- Heimbach J, et al. Combined liver transplantation and gastric sleeve resection for patients with medically complicated obesity and end-stage liver disease. American Journal of Transplantation. 2013; 13:363.
- Watt KD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Personal communication. July 7, 2016.
- Ludwig J, et al. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: Mayo Clinic experiences with a hitherto unnamed disease. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1980;55:434.
- Uppal V, et al. Pediatric non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2016;18:24.
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease