Oct. 28, 2015
Part of Mayo Clinic's commitment to its patients involves conducting medical research that helps people live longer, healthier lives. Clinical trials are research studies that involve volunteer participants. These human studies help doctors better understand diagnose, treat, and prevent diseases or conditions.
Mayo Clinic has thousands of active clinical trials and research studies; and coordinates national clinical trials with other medical centers. See Mayo's clinical trials website and search for a study by condition, treatment or drug name.
Mayo Clinic researchers continually develop new studies, so ask your health care provider about clinical studies or visit ClinicalTrials.gov to learn about additional research opportunities.
- AskMayoExpert. Hyperthyroidism. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Ross DS. Diagnosis of hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Ross DS. Overview of the clinical manifestations of hyperthyroidism in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Ross DS. Disorders that cause hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Hyperthyroidism. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/thyroid-disorders/hyperthyroidism. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Thyroid disorders: Hyperthyroidism and thyroid storm. In: Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Hyperthyroidism. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-hyperthyroidism/. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Graves' disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/graves-disease/Pages/fact-sheet.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Institute of Medicine. http://www.iom.edu/vitamind. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 18, 2015.