High blood pressure in younger children is often related to other health conditions such as heart defects, kidney disease, genetic conditions or hormonal disorders. In older children — especially those who are overweight — the precise cause of high blood pressure is often unknown.
Sept. 09, 2017
- Black HR, et al. Hypertension in children and adolescents. Hypertension: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007.
- Marcdante KJ, et al. Hypertension. In: Nelson Essentials of Pediatrics. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinical key.com. Accessed Oct. 3, 2015.
- Mattoo TK. Evaluation of hypertension in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 4, 2015.
- High blood pressure in children. American Family Physician. 2012;85:704.
- Essouma M, et al. Hypertension prevalence, incidence and risk factors among children and adolescents in Africa: A systematic review and meta-analysis protocol. British Medical Journal Open. 2015;5:e008472.
- High blood pressure in children. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/UnderstandYourRiskforHighBloodPressure/High-Blood-Pressure-in-Children_UCM_301868_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 4, 2015.
- The fourth report on the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2004;114(suppl):555.
- Tips for parents: Ideas to help children maintain a healthy weight. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/children/index.html. Accessed Oct. 4, 2015.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 7, 2015.
- Flynn JT, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline for Screening and Management of High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. Pediatrics. 2017;140:e20171904.