Some seizures may be triggered by alcohol intake, smoking and especially lack of sleep. There is also evidence that severe stress can provoke seizures, and that seizures themselves can cause stress. Avoiding these triggers where possible may help improve seizure control.
People who have epilepsy may be embarrassed or frustrated by their condition. Frontal lobe seizures may be especially embarrassing because they sometimes feature loud vocalizations or sexual movements.
It helps if family members can encourage a positive outlook. Parents can find information, resources and emotional connections from support groups to help their children and themselves. Counseling can be helpful as well. Adults with epilepsy also can find support through in-person and online groups.
Sept. 22, 2016
- Ropper AH, et al. Epilepsy and other seizure disorders. In: Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGrawHill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Phillips L, et al. Diagnosing frontal lobe epilepsy in the ED. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2014;32:1299e1.
- Daroff RB, et al. Epilepsies. In: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Benbadis SR. Localization-related (focal) epilepsy: Causes and clinical features. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Gold JA, et al. Frontal lobe epilepsy: A primer for psychiatrists and systematic review of psychiatric manifestations. Psychosomatics. In press. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Frontal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-epilepsy-syndromes/frontal-lobe-epilepsy. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Seizures and epilepsy: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/epilepsy/detail_epilepsy.htm. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Matricardi S, et al. Neuropsychological profiles and outcomes in children with new onset frontal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy and Behavior. 2016;55:79.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. The epilepsies. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- McGovern RA, et al. New techniques and progress in epilepsy surgery. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports. 2016;16:65.
- Epilepsy. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 24, 2016.
- Ekstein D, et al. Natural products in epilepsy—The present situation and perspectives for the future. Pharmaceuticals. 2010;3:1426.
- McConnell BV, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in an urban county hospital epilepsy clinic. Epilepsy and Behavior. 2014;34:73.
- Finding a community. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsy.com/get-help/managing-your-epilepsy/living-epilepsy/living-epilepsy-101-basics/finding-community. Accessed May 24, 2016.
- Sirven JI (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 25, 2016.