- Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart conditions (cardiologists) and others have experience diagnosing the cause of your chest pain and treating your condition. In fact, each year nearly 28,000 people are treated for chest pain at all Mayo Clinic campuses. The trained staff in the Chest Pain and Coronary Physiology Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota has expertise in evaluating and treating people who have undiagnosed, complex or unresolved chest pain. Almost 17,000 people are seen annually for chest pain at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic cardiologists work with doctors trained in heart surgery (cardiovascular surgeons), doctors trained in imaging (radiologists) and others to evaluate and treat your chest pain.
- Diagnostic tools. Mayo Clinic doctors use detailed imaging tests to accurately diagnose your condition and develop your treatment plan.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors treat chest pain with medications, angioplasty, coronary bypass surgery, cardiac rehabilitation, enhanced external counterpulsation and other therapies.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors study causes, diagnosis and treatment of chest pain and related conditions, and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Nov. 26, 2014
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
- Meisel JL. Diagnostic approach to chest pain in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 15, 2014.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 15, 2014.
- Meisel JL. Differential diagnosis of chest pain in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 15, 2014.
- McKean SC, et al. Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine. New York, N.Y: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=749. Accessed Sept. 16, 2014.
- Yelland M, et al. An algorithm for the diagnosis and management of chest pain in primary care. Medical Clinics of North America. 2010;94:349.
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Chest Pain and Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS). Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. https://www.icsi.org/guidelines__more/catalog_guidelines_and_more/catalog_guidelines/catalog_cardiovascular_guidelines/acute_coronary_syndrome/. Accessed Sept. 26, 2014.
- Cook A. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 8, 2014.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 24, 2014.