Bulimia care at Mayo Clinic
Treatment at Mayo Clinic for children, teenagers and young adults with bulimia or other eating disorders includes psychotherapy, nutrition counseling, medical care, medications and hospitalization if necessary.
Your Mayo Clinic care team
Your team may include psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, dietitians and other medical professionals as needed who will coordinate your treatment. If your bulimia is complicated by complex medical conditions, you'll especially benefit from Mayo Clinic's coordinated team approach to care.
Family-based therapy program
Mayo Clinic's family-based therapy program is highly successful in treating bulimia in children, teens and young adults. Each child and family is assigned an individual care consultant — a psychologist trained in family-based therapy techniques. Unlike many treatment programs, the consultant at Mayo cares for that person until full recovery.
This innovative program focuses on:
- Involving parents and other close family members as a crucial part of the treatment team
- Developing an eating management plan for the person with bulimia and teaching family members how to implement that plan at home to continue progress
- Promoting effective communication and healthy family relationships
- Helping the person develop more-effective coping strategies to reduce thoughts and behaviors associated with bulimia
Expertise and rankings
- Expertise. Mayo Clinic provides treatment for hundreds of children and teenagers each year with eating disorders, including bulimia.
- Team approach. Mayo's team may include psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, dietitians and other medical professionals as needed who will coordinate treatment. People with bulimia that's complicated by complex medical conditions especially can benefit from Mayo Clinic's coordinated team approach to care.
- Care tailored to specific needs. A psychologist serves as an individual care consultant throughout the entire program, personalizing treatment needs.
- Family-based program. Mayo Clinic provides a family-based therapy program for children and teenagers with bulimia or other eating disorders. Parents and family members become an important part of the treatment team and learn ways to help their loved one recover.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Aug. 23, 2017