- Teamwork. At Mayo Clinic, gastroenterologists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, pathologists and surgeons work as a team to treat anal cancer. Other professionals are included as needed.
- Experience. Anal cancer is an uncommon type of cancer. Mayo Clinic doctors have experience treating many cases of anal cancer.
- Advanced treatment technology. Mayo Clinic doctors have access to advanced radiation therapy techniques, such as intensity-modulated radiation therapy, to improve care for people with anal cancer. These advanced radiation therapy technologies allow doctors to precisely aim radiation beams to target cancer and to spare healthy tissue from damage.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with anal cancer includes chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
July 26, 2013
- Deng GE, et al. Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for integrative oncology: Complementary therapies and botanicals. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology. 2009;7:85.
- Anal carcinoma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Anal cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/anal/patient. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Gardasil (prescribing information). Whitehouse Station, N.J.: Merck & Co. Inc.; 2013. http://www.gardasil.com. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Cervarix (prescribing information). Research Triangle Park, N.C.: GlaxoSmithKline; 2012. http://us.gsk.com/html/medicines/index.html#vaccines. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Taking time: Support for people with cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/takingtime. Accessed May 28, 2013.