Amyloidosis (am-uh-loi-DO-sis) is a rare disease that occurs when a substance called amyloid builds up in your organs. Amyloid is an abnormal protein that is produced in your bone marrow and can be deposited in any tissue or organ.
Amyloidosis can affect different organs in different people, and there are different types of amyloid. Amyloidosis frequently affects the heart, kidneys, liver, spleen, nervous system and digestive tract. Severe amyloidosis can lead to life-threatening organ failure.
There's no cure for amyloidosis. But treatments can help you manage your symptoms and limit the production of amyloid protein.
Amyloidosis care at Mayo Clinic
July 07, 2017
- Gorevic PD. An overview of amyloidsosis. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Amyloidosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Renal amyloidosis (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Rajkumar SV. Clinical presentation, laboratory manifestations and diagnosis of immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis (primary amyloidosis). https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- Gorevic PD. Pathogenesis of secondary (AA) amyloidosis. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Cardiac amyloidosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Gertz MA. Immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis: 2016 update on diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. American Journal of Hematology. 2016;91:947.
- Dispenzieri A, et al. Treatment of Immunoglobulin Light Chain Amyloidosis: Mayo Stratification of Myeloma and Risk-Adapted Therapy (mSMART) Consensus Statement. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:1054.
- McKenna WJ. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of amyloid cardiomyopathy. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 16, 2017.
- Maurer MS, et al. Genotype and Phenotype of Transthyretin Cardiac Amyloidosis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016;68:161.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 30, 2017.
- Gorevic PD. Genetic factors in the amyloid diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- Gertz MA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 1, 2017.
- Rajkumar SV, et al. International Myeloma Working Group updated criteria for the diagnosis of multiple myeloma. The Lancet oncology. 2014;15:e538.