The Cardiovascular Surgery Healing Enhancement Program offers integrative medicine to people who are having heart (cardiovascular) surgery and their families at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Integrative medicine combines complementary medicine with conventional medical care to address your physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
The program offers you access to several complementary and integrative therapies before, during and after your heart surgery to promote healing.
Complementary therapies may benefit you and your family members in many ways, including:
- Decreasing your anxiety
- Helping to reduce the amount of pain medication you need while recovering
- Helping to speed your recovery and allow you to return sooner to regular activity
- Helping you feel better physically and emotionally
- Promoting better sleep
- Promoting relaxation and reducing tension
- Reducing your feelings of pain and nausea
You may contact your nurse or other member of your medical team if you're interested in complementary therapies. Also, you may request a referral from your doctor for outpatient care during your recovery after you leave the hospital. Some of the complementary services offered include:
- Massage therapy
- Music therapy
- Patient education
- Religious and spiritual support
- Relaxation therapies
- Sleep enhancement therapies
- Support groups or volunteer visitors
Read more about massage, meditation, stress management, acupuncture, tai chi, yoga and other relaxation techniques.
View videos about meditation and yoga.