Returning High School and College Students: How to Apply
Mayo Clinic's High School and College Student Summer Volunteer Program provides students with opportunities to volunteer in both clinic and hospital settings. The 2019 program runs for nine weeks from Monday, June 3, through Friday, August 2, 2019.
If you participated in a previous Mayo Clinic high school or college summer program, you are invited to apply for the 2019 program.
Student volunteers must be available to volunteer during regular business hours (Monday through Friday) and are assigned one weekly four-hour shift. This equates to 36 hours of volunteer service during the summer. Additional shifts may be added as space allows and at the discretion of Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services. Volunteers may not serve more than 12 hours a week.
The purpose of the High School and College Student Summer Volunteer Program is to provide service to Mayo Clinic employees and ultimately to Mayo Clinic patients. Other than the educational activities organized by volunteer services, participants in the College Student Summer Volunteer Program are not permitted to engage in shadowing or observing of Mayo Clinic staff.
Returning students must be available to attend the mandatory orientation session on Saturday, April 27, 2019.
Eligible to reapply are students who:
- Have met the previous program requirements
- Are committed to the nine weeks of service between June 3 and August 2, 2019
Ineligible to reapply are students who:
- Cannot complete the minimum service requirements
- Plan to be absent during the nine-week period between June 3 and August 2, 2019
- Are unable to attend the mandatory orientation session on Saturday, April 27, 2019
- Complete the application form:
- Print out the application and sign it.
- Return your completed and signed forms no later than February 22, 2019.
- To submit your application, scan and email to Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 480-342-2141.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee placement into the program.
- If accepted into the program, you will receive a letter in the mail inviting you to attend the orientation session on Saturday, April 27, 2019.
Student volunteers are required to:
- Complete the one-step tuberculosis (TB) skin test (no charge). This will require a follow-up visit to the Occupational Medicine department on Monday, April 29, 2019.
- Complete the required post-orientation paperwork.
- Attend a mandatory service area training session on Tuesday, June 4, 2019, at the Scottsdale campus of Mayo Clinic or at Mayo Clinic Hospital on the Phoenix campus.
Note: Failure to complete both the TB skin test and required paperwork within the designated time frame will result in disqualification from the program.
Verification of hours
Upon successful completion of the student summer program, a letter of verification will be provided to you that states the period of time you volunteered, the total number of hours served and the service area in which you volunteered.
After 100 hours, a letter of recommendation may also be provided to you, but letters are provided only to volunteers who are in good standing based on performance, commitment and work ethic. The decision to provide a letter of recommendation is at the discretion of the volunteer management team. Note that the department is not obligated to write a recommendation letter for you.
Contact Mayo Clinic Volunteer Services.