Here Science Serves
The buildings of Mayo Clinic are designed to be efficient and filled with the latest medical technology and systems. They are also created to be warm and inviting places that reflect beauty through architecture, art and landscaping.
An attractive environment is pleasing and healing to the body, mind and spirit. Since the early days of Mayo Clinic, this component of the healing process has been incorporated into its buildings and outdoor environments. Commenting on the beauty of the Plummer Building which opened in 1928, Jimmy Drummond, carillonneur from 1928 to 1957, remarked: "Here science serves, enthroned by architecture and crowned by music."
A commitment to art, architecture and landscaping continues to be an enduring value of Mayo Clinic and can be seen in Mayo buildings at all three Mayo campuses -- Arizona, Florida and Minnesota.
Mayo Clinic Scottsdale/Phoenix, Ariz.
In Arizona, Mayo Clinic is located on two campuses: Scottsdale and Phoenix. The Scottsdale Campus is located on a beautiful, 188-acre Sonoran Desert site at the foot of the McDowell Mountains. It's an excellent environment to nurture your health, away from the hectic pace and activity of everyday life. Campus activity in Scottsdale is centered around a beautiful five-story outpatient facility, the Mayo Clinic Building (1987), and two research buildings, the Samuel C. Johnson Research Building (1993) and the new Mayo Clinic Collaborative Research Building (2005). On the Phoenix Campus, Mayo Clinic Hospital (1998) is the first hospital entirely designed and built by Mayo Clinic and combines state-of-the-art inpatient medical care with maximum efficiency in a patient-and-visitor-friendly environment. Opening in 2006 is a new 162,000 square foot outpatient clinic building, known as the Mayo Clinic Specialty Building. This building, which will be connected to the northeast corner of Mayo Clinic Hospital, will create greater efficiencies and convenience for patients.
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Fla.
The Mayo Clinic campus in Jacksonville, Fla., sits on 396 acres edged by pine forests and dotted with lakes. The main patient care building is the Davis Building, which was the first building on campus when the clinic opened in 1986. Since then, the Davis Building more than doubled in size from its original four floors to eight, and several more buildings have been constructed. The Cannaday Building houses primary care and specialty services, as well as the Meditation Atrium. Radiation oncology and outpatient surgery are in the Mayo Building, which is being expanded from two to five floors in 2006 and 2007 to house inpatient services related to the new hospital being built on campus. Mayo Clinic Hospital, now under construction behind the Mayo Building, will include a six-story nursing facility. It is scheduled to open in 2008. Laboratory research in cancer and neurosciences is done in two laboratory research buildings -- the Griffin Cancer Research Building and the Birdsall Medical Research Building. The Stabile Buildings (north and south) house administrative offices. A multilevel landscaped outdoor plaza outside the Davis Building provides a pleasant spot for patients and visitors. It includes seating areas, gardens, ponds, walking paths and fountains. Louchery Island, a quiet spot perfect for meditation, is home to "The Nature of Things." This stone sculpture represents the full spectrum of life and is designed to be soothing yet stimulate the senses. The Jacksonville campus also has two hotels - the Inn at Mayo Clinic and a Courtyard by Marriott.
Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minn.
In Rochester, Minn, Mayo Clinic, Saint Marys Hospital and Rochester Methodist Hospital together form an integrated medical center dedicated to providing comprehensive diagnosis and treatment in virtually every medical and surgical specialty. Altogether, Mayo occupies some 15 million square feet in Rochester, about 2.9 times the size of the Mall of America in Minneapolis, Minn. Patient care is supported by advanced programs in education and research.
Among the buildings in Rochester are the Plummer Building (1928), which was designed to enhance the practice of integrated medicine, the Mayo Building (1950), Harold W. Siebens Medical Education Building (1989) and the Gonda Building (2001).
The Gonda Building acts as the front door to Mayo Clinic, bringing together clinic and hospital services to make more efficient use of patient time. The building emphasis two hallmarks of Mayo Clinic: a focus on patient needs and Mayo's unique integrated practice. The Gonda building utilizes a flexible design that allows for space to be reconfigured to accommodate changes in medicine brought about by new biomedical discoveries, new procedures, and new technologies.
The building combines medicine, art and architecture. A three-story bank of windows allows sunlight to illuminate the main floor. Suspended from the ceiling is a chandelier of 13 dazzling elements designed by famed glassblower Dale Chihuly. A grand staircase leads to the lower, subway level, and a 28-foot high, three-ton sculpture -- "Man and Freedom" -- by Croatian sculptor Ivan Mestrovic, adorns one wall. It is not unusual to hear the sound of a piano in the Gonda building where anyone who wishes can take a turn at the keyboard. The Gonda Building is also home to Heritage Hall which houses displays and historic artifacts telling the Mayo story.