Throughout the year, residents of and visitors to Rochester enjoy the city's attractive parks. The Mayo family and Mayo Clinic were among the early supporters of recreational areas. During his term as mayor in 1882-1883, Dr. William Worrall Mayo enthusiastically promoted establishment of a park near the present site of Mayo Park in downtown Rochester.
In January 1907, the Mayo brothers contributed money and land east of downtown Rochester for park purposes. The gift formed the major portion of today's Mayo Park. In 1909, an additional gift of land by the Mayos brought the total area of Mayo Park to 38 acres.
In 1909, the Mayo brothers also purchased and gave to the city 4.5 acres of land overlooking the city and Saint Marys Hospital. The observatory park in southwest Rochester is called Saint Marys Park.
In 1910, the Mayo brothers presented 9.5 acres northeast of Mayo Park to the city for athletic use. Since then, Mayo Field has been the scene of many ball games.
Each park contains a bronze tablet attached to a large boulder acknowledging the Mayo gift. The markers were placed there by the city in 1928.