Tradition & Heritage Timeline Artifacts  
Plummer Building Opens -- Designed for Collaboration and Teamwork
The Plummer Carillon
The Plummer Carillon

During the initial stage of the Plummer Building construction, the building plans did not include a tower large enough to house a carillon. A change in the plans was announced in August 1927.

It was reported that the apex of the addition to house the carillon would be 55 feet above the tower steelwork. The building's height was thereby increased to 295 feet, making the building the tallest in Minnesota at that time.

Originally, the bells of the carillon covered a range of two octaves. The largest of the 23 bells, the bass bell, weighs 7,840 pounds, with the total weight of the bells being 36,988 pounds. The original bells came from the Gillett and Johnston Bell Foundry, Croydon, England.

During the dedication of the carillon on Sept. 16, 1928, Dr. Will said: "Today, we dedicate this carillon to the American soldier, in grateful memory of heroic actions on land and sea to which America owes her liberty, peace and prosperity."

In 1977, the descendants of Alphonso Gooding, a pioneer Rochester settler, extended the musical range of the carillon by presenting 33 bells varying in weight from 20 to 130 pounds. The new bells were cast at the Petit and Fritsen Bell Foundry, Aarle-Rixtel, Holland. This enlarged 56-bell carillon has a range of 4.5 octaves.

Start Over
Next Section - Mayo Brothers' Pastimes and Retirement
Plummer Building carillon
Plummer Building carillon
Bell for Plummer Building carillon
Bell for Plummer Building carillon

Find Mayo Clinic on


Terms of Use and Information Applicable to this Site
Copyright ©2001-2014 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. All Rights Reserved.