Mayo Building Opens
Construction of the 10-story Mayo Building was completed in 1955. Up to that time, it was the largest building project undertaken by Mayo. The need for the new facility was driven by a dramatic post-World War II increase in the number of patients. Between 1938 and 1949, an estimated 25,000 to 50,000 patients were unable to obtain appointments at Mayo because of high demand for its services.
Designers with architect Ellerbe & Company, in collaboration with several clinic committees, reviewed the operational systems used in existing clinic buildings and conceived a structure that offered convenience and comfort for patients. Their design featured systems for the efficient scheduling and routing of patients, physicians and medical records, and a physical layout that enabled convenient consultation among physicians.
The Mayo Building was constructed in the shape of a Greek cross. A typical floor included 11 examining rooms, consultation rooms, a staff room, a secretarial office and a seminar room for graduate medical programs and conferences. A central waiting room served two reception desks.
In 1970, an eight-floor expansion of the building was completed, bringing the building's height to almost 300 feet.