The Gonda Building
The Gonda Building, located at the heart of the downtown Rochester campus and across the street from the site of the original Mayo Clinic building, opened in October 2001. It is the centerpiece of the most extensive building program in Mayo Clinic history. The 20-story building is linked with the Mayo Building and the Charlton Building of Rochester Methodist Hospital, forming the largest interconnected medical facility of its kind in the world, more than 3.5 million square feet.
Diagnostic and treatment facilities are located in close proximity, enabling teams of specialists to work in centers of care. To patients, this translates into greater convenience, efficiency and more "seamless" episodes of care. Many major specialties, including oncology, cardiology, urology, neurology and gastroenterology, are centrally located within the building.
The building has a flexible, state-of-the-art design that will accommodate evolving technologies and the application of emerging biomedical discoveries. An important feature of the Gonda Building is its architectural details, sculptures, paintings, multicultural artifacts and landscaping, which combine to create an environment that is beautiful to the eye and healing to the body, mind and spirit.
The building's architect, the Minnesota firm of Ellerbe Becket, Inc., has had a relationship with Mayo since designing the first Mayo Clinic Building in 1914. John Waugh, principal architect, is a native of Rochester, and a grandson and son of Mayo physicians. Cesar Pelli was the design architect. He is hailed internationally for his ability to create humanistic buildings, even on a massive scale. Many of the works of art have been made possible by the generosity of Mayo benefactors. They include an exhibit of glass art by Dale Chihuly.