Evolution of Mayo Clinic
From a family enterprise and partnership to a not-for-profit medical center, Mayo Clinic has grown and changed with the times, while adhering to the core principle of serving the best interest of the patient. Change has been a constant throughout Mayo history. Much of its development, growth and progress are due to the early organization and systems that the Mayo founders established. This foundation ensured the development of the practice and its smooth operation into the future.
The partnership era of the Mayo practice began in 1892, when Dr. Augustus Stinchfield, a well-known practitioner from Eyota, Minn., joined the Mayos as their first partner. Two years later, Christopher Graham, brother-in-law of Dr. Charlie Mayo, received his medical degree and joined the growing practice as the second partner.
With the retirement of Dr. Stinchfield in 1906, Drs. Melvin Millet and Henry Plummer joined the partnership. Both were natives of the Racine, Minn., area. Dr. Millet had been associated with the Mayos since 1899 and Dr. Plummer since 1901.
In 1915, Dr. Donald Balfour became the last member of the Mayo partnership. With the retirement of Dr. Graham in 1919, and establishment of Mayo Properties Association (forerunner of Mayo Foundation) by the remaining partners that year, the modern era of the Mayo medical practice began.