Saint Marys Hospital Chapel
A chapel has been an integral part of Saint Marys Hospital since the hospital's construction in 1889. At that time, a small room located on the third floor was used by the nuns. When a third addition to the hospital began in 1903, the first permanent chapel was erected.
That 1904 chapel forms the narthex of the present-day chapel. It was designed in the Italian Renaissance style by Victor Cordella. Italian artisans who had come to America to work on the exhibition building of the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair prepared the Saint Marys chapel's attractive castings. The four murals on the north wall visually balance the stained glass windows installed in the south wall.
When the 1904 chapel could no longer accommodate the crowds that came to Sunday Mass, the Sisters of Saint Francis established a chapel fund to build an addition that featured an open concourse design to accommodate wheelchair patients and those on hospital carts. The concourse connected the old and new chapels. The new chapel was patterned after early Christian churches, using a basilica style, with two rows of granite pillars dividing the interior into a nave with two side aisles. The chapel seats more than 400 worshippers. The first services in the completed chapel were held in January 1933.